When you have a business in Northern New Jersey, commercial snow plowing services are essential during the winter season. With winter snowstorms that bring lots of snow and ice to the area, keeping your business open for operations is vital for your customers and your profits.
There are numerous snow plowing contractors in the Bergen County area, but services and quality of services can vary from one company to another. Finding a contractor who offers commercial snow plowing services that are right for your business needs and budget is important, but how do you go about it? Comparing companies and services can be a difficult and time consuming task. The first step is knowing what to look for. Then, it’s easier to narrow down your choices. Here are five important things to look for when choosing a snow plowing contractor to service your business.
1. Knowledge and Experience
It’s important to make sure that the company you hire is knowledgeable and experienced in commercial snow plowing services. Operating heavy snow plowing equipment can be a dangerous job. Snow plowing trucks have a large blade on the front of the truck that acts like a big shovel. This blade allows the operator to shovel and move large amounts of snow quickly, but the blade can cause property damage if operated incorrectly. It’s important to hire an experienced company with well-trained crews and state-of-the art equipment to get the job done quickly while avoiding property damage, especially in an unexpected snowstorm or blizzard. Before you hire someone, take time to investigate the company and consider their knowledge and experience. Here are some helpful tips:
Research the Company
- Do a Website Search – Most reputable companies have a professional website that provides information about their company and services. Checking the website can give you good insight into the company’s background and experience in the industry.
- Get Referrals –Referrals from friends, relatives or neighbors are always the best way to find reputable services in your area. Ask other business owners who they use for commercial snow plowing services in Bergen County and if they are satisfied with the services.
- Visit the Premises – Many companies that provide snow plowing services also provide landscaping services. They may have a business location that you can visit. A visit to the premises may give you an opportunity to meet the contractor and crew in person and ask questions about snow plowing services and rates.
As you narrow down your choices, ask important questions that will help to qualify each company:
How long have you been in business?
A company that’s been in business 15-20 years is certainly doing something right! A long work history and successful track record indicates good business practices and quality work. Qualify the company’s experience in commercial snow plowing services in New Jersey. A long business history usually equates to quality workmanship and many satisfied customers.
How big is your company?
A larger company will typically have larger crews to handle work loads and service issues. This is especially important in an unexpected snowstorm or blizzard which can quickly become an emergency situation. Make sure the company you hire is large enough and adequately staffed with snow removal crews to handle your specific property needs in a timely and efficient manner.
Are you licensed and insured?
A qualified snow plowing contractor in NJ must be properly licensed and insured to do business. Since snow plowing is often done in hazardous weather conditions, crews must be well-trained and experienced with snow plowing procedures and equipment. Look for a snow plowing contractor with proper credentials to avoid potential problems.
2. Essential Services
Although you can’t predict the weather, you can protect your business by hiring a company that provides commercial snow plowing services that are essential to your business operations during the winter. These services will ensure that your business doesn’t suffer down time and lost customers, especially in unexpected weather conditions. They will also ensure the safety of your employees and your customers while they’re on your property.
24/7 Emergency Response Services
Northern NJ weather can be rather unpredictable, so 24/7 emergency services are essential for your business operation and safety. Look for a commercial snow plowing contractor with trained dispatchers who can schedule a snow removal crew on short notice. Dispatchers will schedule route information and specific snow removal services for your business property. A 24/7 emergency response service will ensure that your business doesn’t have to close down and lose customers during heavy snows or emergency weather conditions.
Monitoring services are important to your business operations and the safety of your customers and employees. Monitoring services monitor daily weather conditions and keep you informed on changing weather patterns that can affect your business, including upcoming area storms and special weather alerts. You are updated by emails, phone calls or website alerts on scheduled snow and ice management services and any changes due to road closures, hazardous road conditions and traffic problems.
Melting services are important to prevent snow from piling up on your property or freezing on hard services like parking lots, driveways, sidewalks and walkways. These conditions can occur quickly, especially when a snowstorm includes freezing rain. Melting services combined with commercial snow plowing services help to prevent dangerous property conditions that can result in slip-and-fall accidents for customers and employees. Look for a professional contractor who provides quality melting services and products to keep your business open and give your customers and employees safe access.
Typical snow plowing equipment includes large trucks with blades on the front to move snow, snow blowers, large rotary brooms, deicing and melting equipment, and shovels or other hand-held equipment. Specific equipment may vary based on your property needs, but new, state-of-the-art equipment is always best for efficiency and safe snow removal.
3. Quality Products
Northern NJ winters can be harsh, and a large snowstorm can create dangerous conditions for your business. With just six inches of snow, your business location can become inaccessible, and more than 12 inches of snow can bring down trees, power lines or even your roof. Hazardous conditions can be worse if a snowstorm is accompanied by freezing rain. Icy conditions on driveways, sidewalks and walkways can cause slip-and-fall accidents on your property.
When it snows, it’s not uncommon for the snow to melt during the day, then freeze overnight as temperatures drop. It may be necessary to use special melting products that speed up the melting process and eliminate hazardous icy conditions. Hire a company that provides commercial snow plowing services and top-quality products to provide efficient, fast melting services and prevent property damage.
- Deicing Products – Deicing products help to melt snow and ice. They also clear hard, packed snow and sheets of ice from hard surfaces like driveways, parking lots and sidewalks quickly. Deicing products are usually applied after snow removal services are performed, but you may need several applications for best results.
- Anti-Icing Products – Anti-icing products are typically applied prior to snow removal services. These products prevent snow from adhering to hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete, which prevents snow turning into ice. Anti-icing products can help to prevent slip-and-fall accidents caused icy conditions.
- Magic Salt – Magic Salt, an advanced product used in snow and ice removal, will remove snow and ice in temperatures as low as minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Magic Salt contains molasses and other ingredients which cause snow and ice to melt at a slower rate, resulting in less runoff on your property.
4. Customer Service
Good customer service is important for any business, but it’s especially important for commercial snow plowing services. Bad weather conditions with snow and ice make things more difficult for everyone. They can close down roads and streets and bring traffic to a complete stop, stranding both drivers and pedestrians. Just getting to work may be a problem, so you certainly don’t want more problems if you can’t open your business. Look for a reputable snow plowing contractor that provides excellent customer service to accommodate your business needs. Here’s some important things to look for:
- An adequate staff to accommodate your phone calls and service requests promptly.
- A competent, friendly office staff to answer your questions.
- Well-trained snow removal crews who can respond quickly for your service needs.
- State-of-the-art snow removal equipment that’s new and well-maintained.
- Emergency response services handled by calm, friendly dispatchers.
- A company that’s easily reachable during an unexpected storm or emergency situation.
- A company that provides excellent service with a smile.
5. Reasonable Rates
Rates for commercial snow plowing services will vary based on your specific property needs. You’ll want to consider your budget and schedule services that fit your property needs and your budget. Commercial snow plowing services are often based on unpredictable weather conditions, so it can be difficult to compare one company’s rates to another. Look for a reputable, qualified snow plowing contractor with reasonable area rates and remember that snow plowing rates can vary based on the following factors:
- Size of the property to be serviced
- Number of required plowing services
- Type of equipment needed for the job
- Cycle time between site visits
- 24/7 Emergency response services
- Unexpected weather conditions
- Special melting services and products
- Professional experience and skill level of the contractor hired
Winter storms in NJ can bring unexpected snow and ice quickly, so it’s important to discuss your business needs and your budget with your contractor before winter arrives. For accurate rates, discuss your specific property needs prior to finalizing your contract for commercial snow plowing services.