The weather in Northern New Jersey is great most of the year, but winters here can be extremely cold with lots of snow. As a business owner, providing commercial snow removal in NJ for your business location can have a big impact on your business operations during a winter snowstorm.
There’s no way to predict winter weather conditions or when a snowstorm may hit, so preparing ahead of time will help you avoid problems. A winter snowstorm or blizzard can quickly dump five to ten inches of snow on your property, causing hazardous conditions for your business. You could also end up with stranded customers and employees who can’t enter or exit your business. Not only is this a potential risk for slip-and-fall accidents, but it’s also a risk for lost business and revenue. As a responsible business owner, you should plan for commercial snow removal in NJ before winter arrives to avoid problems for your business. Here are eight important tips to help you with your plan.
1. Plan Early
It’s important to plan for snow removal services in late summer or early fall before winter weather arrives. This way, you’re prepared for the first sign of snow, and you’ll have time to create a workable plan that meets your business needs and budget. Companies that provide commercial snow removal in NJ book up quickly, so waiting too late to plan for services can leave you with no available service when you need it the most. Northern NJ winters can be brutal, and a large snowstorm can create dangerous conditions for your business. With just six inches of snow, your business location can become inaccessible, and more than 12 inches of snow can bring down tree, power lines and even your roof. If a snowstorm is accompanied by freezing rain, icy conditions can result in slippery sidewalks, walkways and driveways that can cause slip-and-fall accidents on your property.
Making a plan in late summer or early fall will ensure that your business stays up and running and your customers and employees stay safe. You’ll have adequate time to look for a professional contractor and determine a plan of action that fits your business needs. It’s important that you hire a contractor who can discuss your needs and concerns and become familiar with your property requirements before snow begins to fall. Early planning will create a structured plan of action, so you’re not caught off-guard in an emergency. With unpredictable winter weather conditions, you should have a plan in place with a clear understanding of services and rates long before winter arrives.
2. Determine the Services You Need
Based on your business location and property layout, think about the services you may need. Rates for commercial snow removal in NJ can vary based on the amount of snow to be removed, the size of your property, necessary equipment and weather conditions. Here are some important factors to consider when planning for your winter snow removal needs:
- How large is your business property?
- Is your business located on a hill or property with steep terrain?
- Do you have a lot of trees, shrubs or wooded terrain on the property?
- Is your business property easy to access from streets and highways?
- Will you need to clear a parking lot? If, so, how large is the parking lot?
- Will you need to clear a driveway? If so, how long is the driveway?
- Will you need to clear walkways and sidewalks that lead to front or back entrances?
- Do you want to include sanding or salting services?
- Do you want to include melting products and services?
- Do you have an existing snow removal contract in place?
By asking yourself these questions, you will have a better understanding of services you may need for your business. You can better discuss your needs with a snow removal contractor who can create a workable plan with accurate rates for services.
3. Find the Right Contractor
There are many companies that provide commercial show removal in NJ, but you want to find the right one for your business. It’s important to make sure that the company you hire is well-trained, well-equipped and experienced with crews that can accommodate your business needs, especially in an unexpected snowstorm or emergency weather situation. You may want to talk to several companies to find the best fit for your business. Here are some helpful tips:
Research the Company
- Do a Website Search – Most reputable companies have a professional website that provides information about their company and services. Checking the website can give you good insight into the company and the way they do business.
- Get Referrals –Referrals from friends, relatives or neighbors are always the best way to find reputable services in your area. Ask other business owners who they use for commercial snow removal services in Bergen County, and if they are satisfied with the services.
- Visit the Premises – Many companies that provide snow removal services also provide landscaping services. They may have a business location that you can visit. A visit to the premises may give you an opportunity to meet the contractor and crew in person and ask questions about snow removal services and rates.
4. Hire a Reputable, Qualified Company
When you’re looking for commercial snow removal in NJ, it may be difficult to compare one company to another. Start by asking some important questions that will give you better insight into the company’s history, knowledge, skill and experience in commercial snow removal services.
How long have you been in business?
A company that’s been in business 15-20 years is certainly doing something right! A long work history and a successful track record indicate good business practices and quality work. Look for a company with experience and skill in snow removal services. There’s no substitution for experience and happy customers.
How big is your company?
A larger company will typically have larger crews to handle work loads and service issues. This is especially important in an unexpected snowstorm or during an emergency weather situation. Make sure the company you hire is large enough and adequately staffed with snow removal crews to handle your specific property needs.
What is your professional experience?
Qualify the company’s professional experience in commercial snow removal services. Look for a company who can provide professional, qualified services with state-of-the-art equipment and well-trained crews who are skilled in commercial snow removal in NJ.
Are you licensed and insured?
A qualified snow removal contractor in NJ must be properly licensed and insured. Operating snow removal equipment can be a dangerous job. It takes knowledge and skill with trained operators who know how to use equipment properly and safely, so don’t hire someone without proper credentials.
5. Consider the Services Provided
Before you hire someone, consider the services they provide. Although there are numerous snow removal contractors in the Bergen County area, the services they provide and the quality of services can vary greatly. Ask some questions that will help to clarify important service provisions for your business.
What type of equipment do you use for snow removal?
Typical snow removal equipment includes large trucks with blades on the front to move snow, snow blowers, rotary brooms, de-icing and melting equipment, and shovels or other hand-held equipment. Specific equipment may vary based on your property needs, but new, state-of-the-art equipment is always best for efficiency and safe snow removal.
Do you provide emergency services?
A reputable, qualified snow removal company in NJ will offer 24/7 emergency response services for your business. They will have skilled crews who can be dispatched on short notice to handle emergency snow removal services, even in the worst weather conditions.
Do you provide monitoring services?
The best snow removal contractors will provide monitoring services for your business. These services monitor daily weather conditions and keep you informed on changing weather patterns that can affect your business including upcoming storms and special weather alerts.
Will you re-inspect my property the day after a storm?
With severe weather conditions, it’s common for snow to melt in the sunshine, then refreeze overnight. Look for a company who provides commercial snow removal in NJ that will re-inspect your business property the day after a snowstorm to inspect and handle these conditions.
Can I reach your office easily by phone or message in an emergency?
Look for a commercial snow removal company that’s adequately staffed and easily reachable in emergency weather conditions. Trained dispatchers who can schedule professional crews quickly in an unexpected snowstorm are an important part of snow removal services for your business.
6. Look for Essential Snow Removal Services
Before you hire a snow removal contractor, make sure they provide some essential services for commercial snow removal in NJ. Although you can’t predict the winter weather forecast, you can protect your business by hiring a company that provides services during unexpected and emergency weather conditions. These services will ensure that your business doesn’t suffer down time and lost customers. They will also ensure the safety of your customers and employees while on your property.
24/7 Emergency Response
Since Northern NJ weather can be quite unpredictable, 24/7 emergency services are essential for your business operation and safety. Look for a commercial snow removal contractor with trained dispatchers who can schedule a snow removal crew on short notice. Dispatchers will schedule route information and specific snow removal services for your business property. A 24/7 emergency response service will ensure that your business doesn’t have to close down and lose customers during heavy snows.
Monitoring services are important to your business operations and the safety of your customers and employees. They monitor daily weather conditions to keep you informed on changing weather patterns that can affect your business including upcoming storms and special weather alerts. You are updated by emails, phone calls or website alerts on scheduled snow and ice management services and any changes due to road closures, traffic jams and hazardous conditions.
Melting services are important to prevent snow from piling up or freezing on hard surfaces like parking lots, driveways, sidewalks and walkways. These conditions can occur quickly and cause dangerous slip-and-fall accidents for customers and employees. Look for a professional contractor who’s knowledgeable and experienced in using special, quality melting products that clear snow and ice quickly. Melting services combined with commercial snow removal in NJ will keep your business open and give your customers and employees safe access.
- Deicing – Deicing products help to melt snow and ice. They will clear packed snow and sheets of ice from hard surfaces like driveways, parking lots and sidewalks quickly. Deicing products are usually applied after snow removal services are performed, but you may need several applications for best results.
- Anti-Icing – Anti-icing uses snow and ice melting products that are applied before snow removal is done. Anti-icing products will prevent snow and ice from adhering to hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete. They can prevent slip-and-fall accidents caused icy conditions.
- Magic Salt – Magic Salt, an advanced product used in snow & ice removal. It will remove snow and ice in temperatures as low as minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The product contains molasses and other ingredients, which cause snow and ice to melt slower with less runoff on your business property.
7. Consider Your Budget
Rates for commercial snow removal services will vary based on your specific property needs. You’ll want to consider your budget and schedule services that fit your property needs and your budget. Commercial snow and ice management services, unlike other types of outdoor maintenance services, are often based on unpredictable weather conditions that can create unknown factors and hazardous conditions. Although this makes it more difficult to compare rates for services in your area, remember that rates often vary based on the following factors:
- Size of the property to be serviced
- Number of required removal services
- Type of equipment needed for the job
- Cycle time between site visits
- 24/7 Emergency response services
- Unexpected weather conditions
- Special melting services and products
- Professional experience and skill level of the contractor hired
Winter weather conditions often present factors beyond your control, so it’s important to discuss your business needs with your contractor prior to finalizing your contract for services. This will give you the most accurate rates possible for commercial snow removal in NJ, so you can plan your snow removal expenses in your yearly operations budget.
8. Get a Quote
Commercial snow removal contractors offer different price options for commercial snow removal in NJ. Consider your property needs to determine which price options works best for your business. Your contractor can give you a quote outlining the scope of services to be provided and the costs for those services.
- Seasonal Price – Prices are usually based on monthly charges for the winter season. In areas with above snowfall and icy conditions, prices may be slightly higher to accommodate unexpected or hazardous conditions.
- Per Occurrence Price – Specific rates are charged each time your property is serviced. Many contractors use this pricing method, but it works best for areas with regular, predictable snow and ice removal service needs.
- Per Hour Price – This pricing method is used in areas that have very unpredictable snow and ice patterns or a high occurrence of extreme weather conditions that require emergency services.
Commercial snow removal in NJ is essential to your business. Talk to an experienced Bergen County contractor who can help you put a snow and ice management plan in place that will protect your business, customers and employees before winter weather arrives.