As a homeowner, it’s important to keep your lawn looking it’s best year round. Hiring a professional lawn care service is always the best way to maintain a beautiful lawn, but even beautiful lawns are susceptible to pests and diseases. To keep your lawn healthy and pest- free, you should make professional lawn care pest control in Bergen County part of your regular lawn care and maintenance.
Common Lawn Diseases & Pests in Bergen County
All lawns, as well as trees, plants and shrubs, can be invaded by outdoor pests and diseases. However, lawns and landscapes that are unhealthy or ill-maintained are much more likely to be attacked. Without proper lawn care pest control in Bergen County, your lawn can quickly become a breeding ground for all types of pests and diseases. Most lawn diseases are caused by various types of fungi rather than bacteria. They typically attack the grass blades and topsoil layers in your lawn. Fungal spores are easily spread from one location to another by insects, rain, wind and shoes from wet grass where the grass and topsoil are infected.
In addition to numerous diseases, your lawn and landscape can suffer damage from a variety of tiny, hard-to-see insects like aphids, mealy bugs, grubs and army worms who love to feed on grass and plants. If you live in a rural part of Bergen County or have a wooded property, you may find various kinds of small animals and wildlife like skunks, gophers, moles, rabbits, opossums, racoons, coyotes, deer and even snakes in your yard. There are many types of outdoor pests and diseases that are common to northern New Jersey, so you need to protect your home and family with regular lawn care pest control in Bergen County.
What Services Does Lawn Pest Control Provide?
An Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Program provides a way to prevent unwanted pests in your yard with emphasis on prevention and organic solutions. If you have existing pest-related problems, a professional lawn care provider can identify the pests and offer the best pest control solutions before problems get worse. An Integrated Pest Management Program with regular lawn pest control in Bergen County typically includes:
- Scheduled property visits, up to seven times during the year, from an IPM specialist who will look for pest-related problems.
- A thorough inspection of your lawn, shrubs and trees during each visit with recommended treatments if problems are found.
- Detailed reports after each inspection that outline any problems that were found and how those specific problems were treated.
By including an Integrated Pest Management Program as part of your regular lawn care and maintenance, you can change the balance of pests in your yard. Services will get rid of weeds and debris that attract pests, provide proper irrigation levels, and prevent standing water that attract insects and small animals.
Professional lawn care services will provide proper fertilization for healthy soil and plants, pest-resistant varieties of plants, shrubs and trees, and flowering plants that attract the types of insects and small animals who offer benefits to your lawn.
Specialty treatments will enhance your regular lawn care and maintenance plan to provide a complete lawn pest control in Bergen County package for your home. Specialty treatments may include:
- Winter lawn protection for pests
- Organic root feedings
- Organic flea, tick and mosquito control
- Organic deer repellent
- Additional pest control treatments as needed
Tree Trunk Injections
Your trees are also susceptible to damage from pests and diseases. Small insects like spider mites, caterpillars and parasitic wasps are common pests that invade trees to feed on leaves, while certain types of borer insects like beetles and peach tree borers commonly attack tree trunks.
If you have fruit trees in your yard, they are particularly vulnerable to insects, small animals and birds that are attracted to the fruit. These outdoor pests can quickly destroy your fruit and cause serious damage to the rest of the trees. An Integrated Pest Management Program can prevent insects and pests from invading and damaging your trees.
What Are the Benefits of Professional Pest Control?
If you have a pest control problem, it’s important to resolve it as quickly as possible before it spreads to other parts of your landscape, or even your home. Rather than trying to control the infestation yourself, it’s best to hire a professional landscape company who can provide quality lawn care pest control in Bergen County. Take a look at some of the benefits provided by a professional pest control service:
- Fewer Pesticides – A professional pest management service will focus on safe, organic methods of pest control, only using toxins and pesticides as a last resort. With DIY pest control, you’re likely to apply insecticides, often in inappropriate quantities, resulting in the overuse of toxins and comprising your family’s health.
- Less Illness – Without adequate pest control, you and your family are susceptible to insect bites, rodent droppings and exposure to unhealthy conditions. If you have pets that spend a lot of time outdoors, they are also susceptible to bites and illnesses.
- Cleaner Environment – When you have a pest control problem, remember that you’re dealing with living insects and small mammals. You may encounter rodents and droppings, small animals and dead bugs around your home. Professional lawn care pest control in Bergen County will handle all aspects of pest extermination and the prevention of pest-related debris.
- Save Money – Many outdoor insects and pests are difficult to get rid of. DIY pest control methods will likely result in spending more time and money on different pesticides than may not work. A professional will know the safest and most effective treatments for specific types of pests, saving you effort and money in the end.
- Home Safety – Many types of burrowing pests like chipmunks, gophers, groundhogs, moles and voles can cause structural damage to your home by undermining foundations and supports. Rats and field mice can gnaw and chew through wood causing significant damage to wood structures.
- Peace of Mind – Any outdoor pest can also invade your home. It’s not uncommon for rats and mice, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons and snakes to enter a home through crawl spaces, basements and attic vents. You don’t want to worry about creepy critters scampering around your house around your children, pets and family members.
Organic Pest Control Services
When hiring a professional service for lawn care pest control in Bergen County, look for a company that offers organic pest control methods. Although many lawn services use pesticides and insecticides as normal treatments, organic treatments provide a safer environment for your family and pets. Organic pest controls work by changing soil and environmental conditions that attract pests in the first place. Over the long-term, organic methods will create a healthy environment for your lawn that will help to prevent future insects and pests from invading your property.
Organic pest control creates a natural balance of organisms in your yard and garden. In a diverse ecosystem, insects and pest populations are regulated and controlled naturally. The successful development of this important balance relies on organic products that minimize harm to pollinators and other insects that provide benefits to your lawn and landscape. If garden pests like chipmunks, gophers, squirrels and rabbits are invading your yard and garden, the least-toxic solutions should be used.
Organic lawn care pest control in Bergen County will create a healthy, balanced ecosystem for your home to prevent insects and pests, protect your family and promote an environmentally friendly environment.