As a Northern New Jersey homeowner, it’s important to create great curb appeal for your home. One way to do that is with a beautiful, lush lawn and landscape. A professional landscape company that provides regular lawn care, maintenance and lawn pest control services in NJ can keep your lawn green and healthy year-round.
Regular lawn care and maintenance is essential to a beautiful lawn, but lawn pest control is just as important to grass growth and health. Without regular lawn pest control services in NJ, your lawn can develop lawn diseases and become a breeding ground for outdoor pests that create an unhealthy living environment for your family and pets.
Why is Lawn Pest Control Important?
Outdoor pests can cause unsightly lawn diseases and serious illness to humans and pets. There’s a wide variety of outdoor pests common to Northern NJ lawns and landscapes, and once they invade, they can cause significant damages.
Prevent Lawn Diseases
Most lawn and plant diseases are caused by some type of fungus that invades soil, grass roots and turf. Fungal spores can travel easily through the air, spread by wind and rain, insects and peoples’ shoes when walking across the grass. Fungal diseases can cause brown, yellow or bare spots, wilted, flattened grass, unhealthy grass growth and patches of dead grass. Your beautiful green lawn can quickly become an ugly brown lawn that creates an eyesore for your home. Fungal diseases often go undetected until unsightly lawn problems appear, then it’s often too late to save your grass. Without proper lawn pest control services in NJ, you may have to replant your entire lawn.
Protect Against Harmful Insects
Lawns are always at risk for attacks by harmful insects that can invade the soil and eat grass roots and leaves. This quickly destroys the support and structure of turf and plants. Once roots are damaged and essential nutrients are depleted, your lawn and landscape plants will begin to die. Insects that cause lawn damage are often small and hard to see. They live under the grass in the soil, so you may not even realize they are there until your lawn develops problems. Insects like grubs, wire worms, army worms, chinch bugs and Japanese beetles are common in Bergen County and Passaic County landscapes. They typically invade in the summer and early fall and can destroy your entire lawn if not eliminated.
Prevent Illness and Disease
Outdoor pests can destroy your lawn and landscape, but some can also cause illness to humans and animals. If you have children and pets, eliminating dangerous outdoor pests in your yard that create hazardous situations should be a top priority. In you notice any signs of dangerous outdoor pests in your yard, contact a landscape professional who provides lawn pest control services in NJ right away.
- Fleas and Ticks – Fleas and ticks are common in the spring and summer. Flea bites cause skin irritation and itching and some species carry bubonic plague and typhus fever. They are often carriers of tapeworms which can be transmitted to humans and pets when ingested. Lyme disease, transmitted by Deer Ticks, can cause serious long-term illness in humans.
- Spiders – Black widows and brown recluse spiders, both common in Northern NJ landscapes, are dangerous because their powerful venom can cause serious reactions like nerve damage and ulcerated skin tissue. If bitten, you should seek immediate medical attention.
- Mosquitoes – Mosquitoes can cause serious illnesses like West Nile Virus, Malaria and Zika Virus. Mosquito bites cause itching, swelling and rashes in humans and heart worms in dogs. You can reduce mosquitoes in your landscape by eliminating all standing water and debris on your property and providing regular lawn pest control services in NJ for your home.
- Bees and Wasps – Bees, wasps, hornets and yellow jackets deliver powerful, painful stings. Small children are particularly susceptible, and both children and adults who are allergic to bee stings can have serious reactions like breathing problems and anaphylactic shock, a severe, potentially life-threatening reaction that requires immediate medical treatment.
- Rats and Mice – Rats and mice are especially drawn to overgrown lawns and ill-maintained landscapes. They carry many diseases including rat-bite fever and leptospirosis, a bacterial infection that affects both humans and animals. Without lawn pest control services in NJ, rats and mice can easily enter your home and pose dangers to your family and pets.
Why Hire a Professional?
For best year-round protection, pest control should be part of your regular lawn care and maintenance. DIY pest control can be risky. You can purchase the wrong pest control products that don’t work against the type of pests you have in your landscape. You can purchase insecticides and pesticides that create dangers to your family and pets. You can spend a lot more money with DIY efforts than you’ll spend on professional services. Hiring a professional landscape company for lawn pest control services in NJ will prevent all of those problems and ensure a pest-free lawn and landscape for your home.
Proper Pests Identity
When dealing with pest control, it’s essential to identify the type of pest that’s causing the problem. With many varieties of fungal diseases, harmful and dangerous insects and small animals that can cause problems, outdoor pests are often difficult to identify. Unless you’re willing to put a lot of time into extensive research to learn about all the different types of outdoor pests, damages they cause and efficient treatments, don’t bother with DIY lawn pest control. Hire a landscape professional who already has that knowledge and can provide proper pest control treatments for your lawn and landscape.
The Right Products
While most traditional pest control services use chemical-based insecticides and pesticides, an Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM) uses natural, organic solutions to control outdoor pests. Although chemical-based treatments are sometimes required, they do pose a higher health risk for people and pets due to exposure to harmful chemicals and toxic substances. Some chemicals also create greater health risks for sensitive individuals with allergies, asthma, upper respiratory problems and compromised immune systems. Often, these individuals are small children and elderly adults. Organic lawn pest control services in NJ will provide the same results as chemical-based products without the potential for harm to your family and pets.
An Environmentally Friendly Environment
An Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM) uses completely organic pest control solutions instead of chemical-based insecticides and pesticides. It works by changing soil and environmental conditions that attract pests in the first place. It creates a natural balance of organisms in your landscape where insects and pests are controlled by environmental influences instead of chemicals. By creating a natural balance in your landscape with organic pest control products, beneficial insects, small animals and important pollinators will be protected. Over the long-term, organic lawn pest control services in NJ will create a healthy, environmentally friendly outdoor environment for your home, family and pets.
Expert Knowledge and Services
By hiring a landscape professional for lawn pest control services in NJ, you can rely on expert knowledge, advice and services for your home. Many landscape professionals have a formal education in horticulture and landscape architecture. They are extremely knowledgeable about all types of outdoor pests and the damages they cause in lawns and landscapes. They are also knowledgeable about various types of insecticides and pesticides used for treatments. It’s important to hire a reputable, experienced Bergen County landscape professional who can provide the best lawn pest control services for your home. Look for the right landscape professional through:
- Referrals – Talk to family, friends and neighbors for recommendations and referrals to a landscape professional they use or have used in the past. You can ask important questions about services, prices and efficiency of pest control treatments that were used.
- Online Research – Do some research online and look for a landscape company in your area who offers lawn pest control services in NJ. Most professional landscape companies have a website that gives information on available services, company history and client testimonials.
- Visit the Company – Many landscape companies are open to the public. Stop by for a site visit and discuss your needs with a landscape professional. A site visit will provide helpful insight into the company’s professional experience and services.
- Schedule a Home Visit – When you find a landscape company with the right qualifications and services for your needs, schedule a property visit at your home to discuss your specific pest control needs, existing pest problems and budget.