Are you wondering, “can deer ruin your grass?” Borst offers natural and effective solutions!
If you’re like most homeowners, you probably already know that sometimes the biggest threat to your lawn care isn’t disease or insects. Deer can also cause a significant amount of damage to the lawn you’ve worked hard to maintain. Instead of googling “can deer ruin your grass?” use your time wisely and call in the experts.
Borst has over 30 years of experience bringing natural and organic methods to landscape maintenance in Bergen County.
Call us at (201) 581-8076 for your free consultation, or fill out a contact form on our website today.
Can deer ruin your grass?
If deer are attracted to your yard or garden, deer can quickly eat down your lawn, leaving bare patches or areas of thin, damaged grass. This becomes a big problem when they are able to access your yard regularly since they will continue to graze on it and cause further damage over time. This is especially true if they are present in large numbers or if your lawn is already stressed due to drought or other environmental factors.
How can you tell if deer are visiting your yard?
If you’re wondering can deer can ruin your grass, it’s good to first know whether or not they’re in your area. To identify their presence in your yard, look for deer tracks or droppings, new growth that’s been nibbled, and branches that are missing patches of leaves. Any of these signs will point to these four-legged culprits as the cause of your landscaping woes.
Here’s some tips for natural deer control, straight from the pros
Now that you’ve answered the question, “Can deer ruin your grass?” you may have concerns about them damaging your yard. Here are steps you can take to deter them or protect your lawn from their grazing:
- Hedging: A physical barrier, such as a prickly or dense hedge, can be effective at keeping deer out of your yard. It should be at least 8 feet tall to be effective at deterring deer.
- Deer repellents: There are various deer repellents available that can be sprayed on your lawn or plants to deter deer. Borst uses products that contain exclusively natural compounds that have a strong smell or taste that deer find unpleasant.
- Deer-resistant plants: Some plants are less attractive to deer than others. Consider planting species that are less likely to be eaten by deer in your lawn or garden.
- Motion-activated deterrents: Devices that emit loud noises or flashing lights can be triggered by the movement of deer. How can deer ruin your grass if they’re too wary to set foot on your property?
- Strategic landscape design: The professionals at Borst suggest using a combination of hedging or fencing, plant selection, and other strategies to create an overall landscape design that is less appealing to deer.
Here’s why you need the experts!
It can be difficult to completely eliminate deer from your yard, and different methods may be more or less effective depending on the specific situation. A combination of these strategies may be necessary to effectively deter these critters from damaging your lawn.
Here at Borst Landscape & Design, our certified technicians provide expert lawn and pest control services in Bergen County. We can guide you through the process of keeping all sorts of pests at bay while encouraging your lawn to grow healthy and lush with our expert lawn care techniques.
For your free estimate, call us at (201) 581-8076, or fill out an online contact form today!