It’s the best of both worlds: a dry laid stone wall lends its timeless elegance to a practical purpose
Nearly anywhere in the world where stone is plentiful, walls have been built. Stone walls have been around for millenia, and many are still standing today. A dry laid stone wall will withstand the test of time, bringing a classic look to its practicality, durability, and craftsmanship.
If you’re planning to add a stone wall to your garden or landscaping in Bergen County, look no further than Borst Landscape & Design. We’ll bring our expertise to a wall design that’s uniquely suited to highlight your property’s best assets.
For your free consultation, call us today at (201) 581-8076, or fill out a contact form on our website!
What are the advantages of a stone wall?
A dry laid stone wall, also known as a dry stack wall, is a wall that is constructed without the use of mortar or concrete to hold the stones in place. Instead, the stones are carefully chosen and placed in such a way that they interlock and support one another, creating a stable structure. In a dry stack wall, the aim is to use gravity to maximize friction, which keeps the stones from sliding apart.
Dry laid stone walls are usually built with local stone, traditionally right from the ground nearby. By building without mortar, you are simplifying the necessary tools, materials and supplies.
Here are a few reasons why you might want to consider building a stone wall on your property:
- Aesthetics: A stone wall adds visual interest and character to your property, especially if it is well-constructed and aesthetically pleasing.
- Boundary demarcation: A stone wall serves as a clear boundary marker, helping to define the edges of your property and providing a sense of separation from your neighbors.
- Privacy: A stone wall provides privacy, especially if it is tall enough to block views into your yard.
- Wind protection: A stone wall offers protection from wind, which is particularly useful if you live in a windy area.
- Erosion control: A stone wall helps to prevent erosion, especially if it is built on a slope.
- Property value: A well-constructed stone wall increases the curb appeal and the value of your property. You’ll be the envy of the neighborhood!
The unique appeal of a dry laid stone wall
Dry stone walling is a craft unto itself. The methods of design building have been developed over hundreds of years to maximize both longevity and efficiency.
One reason for their longevity is that properly laid dry stone walls flex as the ground moves, whereas a mortared wall will crack. This flexibility often allows dry stone walls to be built directly on the soil, while the alternative requires a concrete foundation below the frost line. And while a dry stone wall allows water to pass through harmlessly, mortared walls can trap moisture that will destroy the wall when it freezes.
Natural stone walling is a great way to make a statement that adds both character and functionality to your property. With its classic, timeless aesthetic, a dry laid stone wall will upgrade your yard and boost your home’s curb appeal. With over 30 years experience, Borst Landscape & Design takes great pride in helping you realize your dream landscape.
Call us at (201) 581-8076 for your free estimate, or fill out an online contact form today!
Image credit: Adam Nemeroff @Unsplash