Hot summer weather is just around the corner, and so are those pesky mosquitoes that can ruin your backyard cookouts and keep you inside during beautiful weather. Mosquitoes are common warm weather outdoor pests in Northern NJ, especially around homes near water or wooded areas. Proper mosquito prevention provides an eco-friendly environment, allowing you to enjoy outdoor activities in your backyard year-round.
Mosquito Control and Prevention
In 2012, the World Health Organization and Environmental Protection Agency estimated that every year 300 million people worldwide are infected with mosquito-borne illnesses. In addition to disrupting outdoor activities, mosquitoes also cause serious health problems for your family and pets. Borst’s Organic Mosquito, Flea & Tick Spray program protects your family and pets from mosquito-borne illnesses like West Nile virus, Dengue virus, Malaria, and the Zika virus. Mosquito bites can cause intense itching, swelling, hives, skin irritation, and allergic reactions in some people. They may also cause heartworms in dogs and cats which can result in serious illness and death. The Asian tiger mosquito, that can transmit the Zika Virus, is common to the Bergen County and Passaic County areas and may emerge as early as April or May. Mosquito prevention and control includes regular lawn care and maintenance, organic lawn care, and an outdoor pest management program.
Lawn Care and Landscape Maintenance
Mosquitoes feast on plant nectar, spending a lot of time in tall grasses and around overgrown leafy plants and shrubs. Yard debris, such as dead leaves, grass clippings, twigs, and branches, create a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. Borst Landscape & Design, a professional landscape company, offers scheduled lawn care and maintenance in Bergen County, NJ including: weekly lawn mowing, routine weeding, border edging, hardscape cleaning, and spring and fall yard cleanup. Throughout the year, skilled landscape professionals perform site inspections looking for insects and small outdoor pests that can cause significant damages to your lawn, plants, and landscape. A maintenance program ensures a healthy landscape year-round.
Organic Lawn Care and Natural Mosquito Control
Many over-the-counter lawn care products contain harsh chemicals, posing dangers to humans and animals. Organic lawn care fosters healthy grass, plants, shrubs, trees, and soil, while keeping mosquitoes away. Professional organic mosquito control applications cover a larger area than over-the-counter repellents, while providing a safe outdoor environment for your family and pets. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it takes about two weeks for an adult mosquito to emerge. By using organic lawn care and natural mosquito control, you can build an outdoor environment that kills mosquitoes before they hatch.
DIY Mosquito Prevention Tips
In addition to regular lawn care and maintenance and natural mosquito control, you can deter mosquitoes in your landscape with these DIY tips:
- Eliminate all standing water in your lawn, landscape, and areas around your home. According to theCenters for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), mosquitoes can breed in small amounts of water.
- Regularly change the water in wading pools, planters, bird baths, and outdoor pet bowls.
- Use a natural bacterium in outdoor ponds, fountains, and streams. It kills mosquito larvae, but is non-toxic to people and fish.
- Keep your gutters clean. Clogged gutters or gutters that don’t drain properly are common breeding sites for mosquitoes.
- Check your garden hoses and sprinklers routinely to prevent leaks, lawn overwatering, and standing water.
- Clean your swimming pool and spa regularly and keep covers dry.
- Create ornamental ponds with goldfish, mosquito fish, and guppies that feed on mosquitoes.
- Choose landscape plants that provide natural mosquito control. Lemon balm and rose-scented geraniums contain citronella and natural oils that repel mosquitoes. Catnip contains an essential oil called nepetalactone which is 10 times more effective for mosquito control than DEET. Mosquitoes also avoid lavender, marigolds, basil, rosemary, and peppermint.
- Attract dragonflies, which feed on mosquitoes, with an outdoor pond that’s shallow at one end and deep at the other end.
Mosquito Control with Borst Landscape
By hiring a landscape professional for regular lawn care and maintenance, you can reduce the mosquito population in your Northern NJ yard. Talk to the landscape professionals at Borst Landscape & Design about natural mosquito control for your Bergen County, NJ home before the summer weather arrives. DIY sprays and insecticide treatments may provide temporary relief from mosquitoes, but year-round, long-term solutions require professional help. Call Borst Landscape & Design at (201) 785-9400 or contact us via our website today.