Cherry Almond Muffins
Adapted from Keep It Simple Foods
Yields 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- Crystal or sanding sugar, for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients, except the cherries and sliced almonds, until smooth. Fold in the halved cherries and 1/2 cup sliced almonds.
Spoon batter into a well-greased muffin tin, filling the cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle remaining sliced almonds and a pinch of sugar evenly over the muffins. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool to room temperature before storing.
Best served warm with a small pat of butter.
Recipe from: pastryaffair.com