Whether you need help with basic lawn care and maintenance or building an outdoor landscape feature, you want to hire a landscape design firm that can handle the task. With numerous Bergen County landscape professionals to choose from, how do you know which one is best for your landscape needs?
When hiring a landscape design firm, it’s important to find a company with a good reputation, landscaping knowledge and experience, dependable service, skilled crews and attention to detail.
In addition, it’s essential to find a company that can service your landscape needs and work within your desired budget. To find the best landscape professional for your Bergen County home, start with some important research.
Research the Firm
- Do a website search – Today, most reputable businesses have a professional website to gain business and promote services. Take a look at the company’s website and gather information on the services they provide, photos of their projects and client testimonials.
- Get referrals –A company’s name and reputation usually gets around quickly, especially in the areas where they do business. Get referrals from friends, relatives or neighbors in your area who may have used professional landscape services. You can also ask the company for referrals.
- Visit the company – Some landscape companies have a showroom or nursery that’s open to the public. If one is available, stop by for a visit to get an idea of their work and the services they provide. It’s also a good opportunity to meet some of the staff you may be dealing with if you hire them.
Research the Firm’s Background
How long have they been in business?
The length of time a company has been in business is a good indicator of success. A landscape design firm will not remain in business for 20 or 30 years if they are not providing quality landscape care and dependable, affordable services.
How large is the company?
Typically, a larger company will have more employees to handle larger landscape projects and service issues that may arise. Make sure that the landscape firm you hire is large enough to handle your property needs with efficiency and quality service.
What are their professional qualifications?
Qualify the company’s (owner and team) professional background. A good landscape design firm is often owned or managed by someone with an educational background in horticulture or landscape architecture.
The owner and staff should have extensive knowledge in plant care and maintenance, landscape products, organic plant care and outdoor pest control. A thorough knowledge of horticulture and/or landscape architecture will be extremely valuable to you and your landscape needs.
Is the company licensed and insured?
A professional Bergen County landscape design firm should be licensed and insured. They should have a current business license and liability insurance that’s covers potential damages. Their employee’s should be covered by workman’s compensation insurance that will protect workers and reduce your liability risks if workers are injured on your property.
What professional affiliations do they belong to?
Professional affiliations are an important part of any company’s qualifications and credibility. Check to see if they are affiliated with some of the better national or Northern New Jersey landscape organizations that promote horticulture education and safe, ethical business practices:
- Professional Landscape Network (PLANET)
- New Jersey Landscape Contractors Association
- Builders & Remodelers Association of New Jersey
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
Schedule a Property Visit
After you do your research, narrow your options down to two or three landscape professionals. Schedule a property visit with each landscape design firm, so they can see your existing landscape conditions and discuss your landscape needs.
A property visit will help you to choose the best firm for your home. A property visit can tell you a lot about the landscape firm’s professionalism, services, work ethic and quality of work. You may feel more comfortable and trusting of one company over another, and that’s a good thing. You want to hire someone that you enjoy working with, and someone you trust with your landscape projects, now and in the future.
Pay attention to the good qualities and take note of the bad ones. If a company shows up 30 minutes late for the property visit, this may be a reflection on more unprofessional behaviors to come. Often, your first meeting is a good indicator of your next one. As they say, first impressions are everything!
Discuss Your Landscape Needs
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a professional landscape design firm is quality care and dependable service. Whether you want weekly lawn care and maintenance, a beautiful flower garden, a stone retaining wall, outdoor pest control or a new pool and spa, a qualified landscape professional can provide many services to enhance the beauty of your Bergen County home.
Take a look at valuable services that will benefit your landscape and your home:
Basic Lawn Care and Maintenance
Basic lawn care and maintenance will keep your landscape healthy and well-maintained. When you hire a qualified, experienced landscape company, they will take care of all of your landscape needs. A skilled landscape crew will be assigned to your home on a weekly basis. Regular lawn care and maintenance services include:
- Weekly lawn mowing
- Border edging
- Cleaning of hardscaped surfaces
- Spring yard cleanup to remove debris and dead growth
- Fall yard cleanup to remove debris, dead growth and prep for winter
A professional landscape design firm can also provide additional landscape services that include:
- Lawn Renovations
- Garden Design
- Seasonal Planting of Small Plants
- Seasonal Pruning of Ornamental Trees and Shrubs
- Organic Lawn Care
- Outdoor Pest Control
Specialized Landscape Services
If you need to have land cleared, dead trees or stumps removed, terraced levels built, irrigation systems installed or new landscaping done, you don’t have to hire a separate company to do the work.
- Land Clearing and Cleanup – Providing land clearing, hauling and cleanup of seasonal debris such as fallen limbs, dead shrubs and trees, dead brush and excessive or dead leaves that often become a fire hazard in summer and a refuge for outdoor pests in the winter.
- Landscape Grading and Resloping – Providing land grading or resloping for new home additions, outdoor features like swimming pools, spas, patios and terraces, garden areas and irrigation and drainage problems.
- New Landscape Design – Designing, budgeting and installing a complete new landscape that may include new plants, shrubs and trees, patios, outdoor fountains and ponds, landscape lighting and outdoor walkways and driveways.
Design and Build Services
A qualified landscape design firm, like Borst Landscape & Design, provides great Design/Build Services for Bergen County homeowners. We can build and install a variety of wonderful outdoor features that will enhance the beauty of your home and landscape and increase your home’s property value.
Take a look at outdoor features we can help you with:
- Swimming pools and spas
- Outdoor waterfalls and fountains
- Outdoor fireplaces and fire pits
- Backyard ponds
- Patios and terraces
- Outdoor walkways and driveways
- Outdoor kitchens
- Retaining walls
- French drains
- Landscape lighting
Special outdoor features will create a landscape with welcoming ambiance and provide years of outdoor enjoyment for you and your family. By adding even one outdoor feature to your landscape, you can create an outdoor environment where you will love spending your time.
Discuss Your Budget and Landscaping Costs
Before you hire a landscape design firm, it’s important to discuss your budget and landscaping costs. Get estimates from each landscape company you talk to and make sure you read them carefully. Compare the services provided and costs of those services before you make your final decision on the best company for your needs.
Review estimates carefully and make sure you understand the scope of landscape services to be provided. Everything should be clearly stated, but if you have questions, be sure to discuss them. Be careful of any hidden costs for extra services or products that aren’t clear in your estimate.
The best Bergen County landscape design firm will take the time to make sure you understand services and prices. Keep in mind, cheaper is not always better. You usually get what you pay for!