If you’re looking for professional lawn care services in Bergen County, NJ, you should know that professional lawn care providers not only vary in price, but also in quality and specific services offered. Before you hire a professional landscape company, it’s important to know what qualities to look for so you can find the best fit for your property.
What Services Do You Need?
Before you begin the search for a professional lawn care service, it helps to know what services you need or want for your landscape. This will help you narrow down your choices and make the process faster and easier. Here are some basic questions to consider:
- Is your existing landscape in good condition?
- Does your yard have brown spots, bare patches or dead grass?
- Does your yard have a lot of weeds?
- Does your property contain overgrown trees, shrubs and brush?
- Does your landscape provide adequate privacy and security for your home?
- Do you want to re-design your existing landscape?
- Do you want to add more color to your existing landscape?
- Do you want to add special outdoor features?
What Qualities Should You Look For?
Once you have established your landscape needs, focus on finding a professional landscape company with knowledge and experience who can offer the best professional lawn care for your home. Here are important things to evaluate:
1. How long has the company been in business?
Look for an established landscape company with professional experience. A company who’s been in business for 10-20 years is certainly doing something right. An established company with a long business history usually has a good reputation and satisfied customers.
2. What is the company’s professional background?
It’s important to find a landscape contractor who’s qualified to provide professional services. Many professional landscape contractors have a background in horticulture or landscape architecture and have an extensive knowledge of plants. However, not all professional lawn care providers are “qualified”. In some areas of Northern NJ, a pickup truck, lawn mower and leaf blower are the only qualifications.
3. How large is the company?
Although the size of the company doesn’t always equate to the quality of work or service, it can predict service commitments. A mid-size to large company – 50 or more employees – can handle more projects at once. They are also equipped to handle special requests and problems easier and faster if they arise. With a larger company, it’s often easier to reach someone last minute or in an emergency.
4. Do they have references?
Look for a landscape company with good references. A successful company will be happy to provide you with references. For your protection, take the time to ask for references and speak to existing customers about the company’s work and services. It provides credibility and ensures quality work and service. If a company is hesitant to provide references, you should wonder why.
5. Have they done work in my area?
A reputable, Northern NJ landscape company probably has established customers in Bergen County, NJ and nearby Passaic County, NJ areas. If they have customers in your area, it presents a good opportunity to get references and see the company’s work first-hand.
6. Are they licensed?
A reputable landscape company is typically licensed in the cities where they provide professional lawn care services. A business license ensures that the contractor has followed proper channels and filed necessary paperwork to comply with city requirements for doing business. If the company isn’t licensed, that may signal unprofessional work ethics or business practices.
7. Are they insured?
Liability insurance protects both you and the landscape contractor in case of property damage. Insurance coverage should be an important consideration when choosing your landscape contractor, so ask for proof of coverage. If the company isn’t insured, you may have no recourse if damages occur on your property.
Note: Homeowner’s insurance typically does not cover property damages caused by an uninsured workman on your property. Most homeowner policies require that work is done by a licensed and insured contractor.
8. What landscape services do they provide?
Services and costs can vary greatly between professional lawn care providers, even in the same area. It helps to ask for a list of regular landscape services offered, so you have a clear understanding of your service options. If you’re talking to several landscape companies, a list of services will also help compare services and costs of each company.
Basic Landscape Services
Although landscape services vary between companies, basic landscape services may include similar services such as:
- Weekly or bi-weekly lawn mowing
- Weekly or bi-weekly clearing of leaves and debris
- Border edging
- Hedge and plant trimming
- Adding fertilizer
- Cleaning of hard surfaces like pathways, walkways and driveways
- Spring yard cleanup of dead or damaged plants from winter
- Fall cleanup of dead summer growth
- Preparation for winter plant protection
Additional services may also be offered by some professional lawn care providers. These services may include:
- Pruning trees and shrubs
- Seasonal planting of new plants and flowers
- Adding mulch
- Lawn renovations
- Removing existing foliage
- Haul away services
Special Landscape Services
In addition to basic landscape services, some professional lawn care providers may offer special landscape services that can significantly alter and improve your landscape. These services may include:
- Creating a New Landscape Design: A new design may include new trees and plants, garden areas, decorative pathways and walkways and outdoor features.
- Creating a Budget for New Landscaping: A professional landscape contractor can help you establish a feasible budget for new landscaping and landscape features throughout the yard.
- Grading and Resloping the Existing Landscape: Many professional landscape contractors provide grading or resloping for pools, spas, outdoor patios, terraces and new plants.
- Clearing Land and Cleanup of Debris: Most professional lawn care providers can help you with cleanup of seasonal debris such as fallen tree limbs, dead shrubs and plants and excess brush and leaves.
- Installing Outdoor Lighting: A professional landscape contractor can install exterior landscape lighting that includes various types of outdoor fixtures, including accents and motion detectors for property safety.
- Installing Special Outdoor Features: A qualified, professional landscape contractor can build and install a variety of special outdoor features that will add beauty and value to your home. These features include:
- swimming pools
- spas and hot tubs
- patios and terraces
- outdoor waterfalls
- outdoor ponds
- pathways, walkways and driveways
- outdoor fireplaces and fire pits
- outdoor kitchens
Organic Lawn Care
Many professional lawn care companies offer organic lawn care for your northern NJ home. Organic lawn care and tree care provides a safe chemical-free environment for your family and pets. It also promotes green living and protects the environment from harmful chemicals and toxic fumes that are spilled into the earth and atmosphere with traditional fertilizers and pesticides.
Organic lawn care promotes natural aeration which encourages root growth in your lawn and plants. It naturally controls thatch growth by improving soil conditions with added micro-nutrients. Custom mixtures of organic nutrients and soil conditioners help to promote healthy root systems, plant stability and resistance to harmful insects and plant diseases. Organic lawn care is a great way to keep your lawn and landscape green, healthy and safe year-round.
Organic Tree and Shrub Care
Like your lawn, your trees and shrubs need year-round maintenance and care. Proper fertilization is essential to keep your trees, shrubs and plants green and healthy. An organic deep-root fertilizer will add nutrients to your existing soil for plant growth and healthy root systems. Healthy trees and plants with strong root systems grow faster and are less susceptible to harmful insects, fungus and diseases. They tolerate environmental stresses much better than weak or malnourished plants, so they thrive better in your landscape. Organic tree and shrub maintenance services usually include Spring, Summer and Fall applications for best results.
Many professional lawn care providers offer a pest management program with regular inspections of your trees and plants to check for insects and diseases. If they’re found, appropriate treatments will be applied. Regular property visits will include reports that let you know the condition of your trees and plants and what treatments are needed.
With any landscape, regular maintenance and proper care is the best way to keep your lawn healthy and beautiful. If you’re considering professional lawn care for your home in Bergen County, NJ, look for a qualified professional landscape company that can ensure quality work and dependable, reputable services.