If you own a home in Bergen County, you know that standing water can pose a serious threat to your home and landscaping. Fortunately, there’s a practical way to deal with it and its known as a French drain.
French drains are designed to protect your home from the problems associated with standing water and when the problem is addressed, you will enhance your landscape and preserve your homes’ beauty
French Drain Materials
The materials needed to install a French drain include piping, stone or gravel and landscaping fabric. There are landscaping tools needed as well and that’s why it’s always best to hire a professional landscaper to install your French drain.
Not only does this help prevent costly mistakes, but it also ensures your drain functions well.
Benefits of French Drains
French drain installation is a very practical solution for keeping standing water away from your house and it has dozens of benefits. Some of the biggest perks of a French drain include:
- Improved Indoor Air Quality. When water seeps into your basement, it can create dangerous conditions, including mold, mildew and dust mites. Fortunately, a drain will improve indoor air quality by moving water away from your home and keeping your interior materials free of mold, mildew and other irritants.
- No Shifting and Cracking of Your Foundation. Even if water doesn’t seep into your basement, it can still cause damage by sitting against your foundation and softening the soil that surrounds it. Over time, your foundation will start to shift and crack. Luckily, it’s not inevitable. A drain will protect your foundation from damage and keep it in great shape for years to come.
- Maximized Drainage Options. With a drain, you can direct water away from your house and into the street, or direct it to a flower bed or garden.
- Enhanced Landscape. A french drain is installed below the ground and by using a landscape professional like Borst, who has your aesthetic interests in mind, you will be able to plant because a landscape professional has your aesthetic interests in mind.This means that you can replant grass over the drain for minimal landscape interruption. Along with more drainage options, this allows you to complement any landscape design using a drain.
French Drain Installation
If you’re considering installing a French drain on your property, the first step is to hire a professional for some assistance.
Here’s what a professional landscape design company in Bergen County can do for you:
- Maximize Design Possibilities. A northern New Jersey contractor will help you fully understand all of your design options when it comes to installing a French drain. A contractor can show you how a drain will work with your whole landscaping design and help you make the placement, material and design decisions that will work best for your property.
- Reduce Errors. When you understand all your design possibilities, you can eliminate the potential for costly mistakes. That, in turn, allows you to enjoy a stress-free project.
- A Timely Turnaround Time. If you install a French drain on your own, it could take you months or weeks. When you hire a professional, you’ll be able to install a drain within a timely manner.
- Preserve the Beauty of Your Landscape. Installing a French drain involves a fair amount of excavation. Luckily, a professional can help you leave the natural beauty of your landscape intact and minimize damage to your garden and lawn.
Having a professional on your side is one of the best ways to ensure your French drain installation goes as well as you imagine it will. Here at Borst, we’re happy to give you the guidance you need.
Borst Landscape & Design has been serving the northern New Jersey area for more than two decades, and we’re eager to assist property owners in the design and construction of their dream landscape.