Summer “To Do” List
- Maintenance pruning of ornamental trees, shrubs, and hedges
- Spray to control scale, mites, lace bugs, and other hot weather insects
- Spot treatment of weeds where needed
- Selective thinning of shade trees to improve light penetration
- Time to plan for fall planting
Frequently Asked Questions
The best time to water your lawn in the summer is early morning (4 a.m. – 7 a.m.) 3 to 4 times – 25 to 30 minutes for lawns, 10 to 15 minutes for shrubs. During hot months it is OK to water in the afternoon to cool down the temperature of the grass for 15 minutes.
Yes, fertilizer and weed killer can be used together. One will not harm the other.
Weed killer takes effect in approximately 7 days. Do not water for 48 hours after application. Wait 4 weeks after application to seed.
To control the weeds between your pavers, use a water-based Roundup – make sure to follow the instructions and read the caution label.