The outdoor walkways around your property serve many purposes. In addition to directing the flow of traffic, they also beautify the space, break up your landscaping and keep your lawn healthy by keeping foot traffic off of it.
With all of that in mind, doesn’t it make sense that your pathways be as beautiful and durable as possible? Here at Borst Landscape & Design, we’re one of the premier landscape design companies in NJ, and we specialize in helping our customers create beautiful, unique walkways to punctuate their property.
Outdoor Walkway Materials
Not all outdoor walkways are created equal. In fact, you’ll have many options when it comes time to choose materials for your front or backyard walkway in Northern NJ. As you choose between them, don’t forget to consider your home’s architecture and the garden and landscaping surrounding your home.
You’ll also want to consider the overall appearance you want from your walkway. While some materials look more formal and offer straight clean lines, others are more informal or textural, offering curved lines.
Last but not least, you’ll want to prioritize safety as you choose the material for your Bergen County walkway. If the landscaping and architecture of your home are more formal, brick or stone will provide a nice, colorful and durable walkway that works with your home’s style.
Common materials include:
- Bluestone, flagstone, brownstone or limestone. These materials are popular in grass or gravel and offer a more informal “stepping stone” aesthetic and feel.
- Crushed stone. Crushed stone adds brightness to a walkway, thanks to a variety of white, blue, pink, gray and other colors.
- For a softer look on your walkway, look to specific mosses or fragrant herbs, including thyme.
Benefits of Outdoor Walkways
There are dozens of benefits of an outdoor walkway. In addition to being beautiful and functional, walkways offer the following perks:
- Walkways offer access to disparate parts of your property, like garden gazebos, benches, pools, outdoor kitchens and more.
- Cohesion. By linking the various parts of your property and yard together, an outdoor walkway offers a sense of cohesion and purpose.
- Visual Appeal. Depending on the material you choose, an outdoor walkway can be intensely beautiful. This is especially true for walkways that you adorn with ground covers, plants or similar green elements. For added appeal, include some lighting along the pathway.
Build an Outdoor Walkway
If you want to build an outdoor walkway, the first step is to hire a professional. A landscape contractor in Bergen County can help you determine the ideal place for your walkways.
This creates a natural flow throughout your property and helps ensure that your finished product looks exactly as beautiful as you had pictured it to be. A professional landscaper will also help you install your walkway correctly to ensure that it will not only look nice but also lasts a long time and remains safe for anyone using the walkway. This is important since walkway materials which aren’t installed correctly, including slate and stone, can begin to crack and loosen, causing both rot and safety issues down the road.
To ensure your outdoor walkway project goes off without a hitch, Borst Landscape & Design can help. As one of the premier landscape design companies in NJ, we will answer any questions you may have and provide you with all the planning, materials and construction assistance you need to begin your walkway today.
If you’ve decided to build an outdoor path on your property, having professional assistance is one of the best ways to succeed. Here at Borst Landscape & Design, we specialize in outdoor walkway services.
We have been serving the northern New Jersey area for more than two decades, and we’re eager to assist property owners in the design and construction of their dream landscape. Contact us today to learn more about your Bergen County outdoor walkway options and more.