Outdoor Deck Lighting Ideas to Enhance Your Home Year-Round
Whether you use it for entertaining or for quiet time enjoying the fresh air, your deck is one of the most used areas of your property. As winter brings earlier sunsets and darker nights, you may find yourself spending more time indoors (unless you have a gorgeous outdoor fireplace to gather around)–but you don’t need to let the darkness chase you away. Consider these outdoor deck lighting ideas to enhance your outdoor room and get more from it all year round.
Borst Landscape & Design can design, install and maintain an outdoor lighting system to enhance your New Jersey home and landscape. We have a unique understanding of outdoor lighting and design based on many years of experience. Get in touch today!
Why light your deck?
There’s not just one answer for why you should be considering outdoor deck lighting ideas. Landscape lighting is proven to increase the beauty and safety of your property, and what’s more, it can add significant value and desirability to your home.
A modern outdoor lighting system is economical and uses low wattage. It’s built to withstand the elements. A truly smart investment, outdoor lighting can dramatically change the look and atmosphere of your deck, patio, walkways and more.
By installing a beautiful custom lighting system to your deck, you will be able to enjoy it into the evening hours at any time of the year. No need to break up the party or put away your book when darkness falls.
Outdoor deck lighting ideas
There are a wide variety of lighting fixtures and techniques depending on how you use your deck, how it is constructed, and what sort of atmosphere you want to create. Lighting your deck can be as much for enhancing beauty or creating a mood as it is for increasing its functions. Here are a few ideas to get your imagination going!
- Stair Lights: Be assured of sure-footing while creating a welcoming feeling of invitation! They can be recessed into the stairs for a romantic, soft glow or placed on posts for architectural appeal.
- Post or Rail Lights: If your deck has surrounding posts, adding lights along them can highlight the perimeter, adding style and safety. Lighting under the railing can similarly add to the after-dark magic.
- String Lights: Whimsical and romantic, string lights can be a playful choice. With a wide variety of bulbs and colors, they can create many different twinkling atmospheres.
- Recessed Lights: Placed in the floor, they create a luxurious look, while lights in the ceiling take advantage of height. If you have an outdoor kitchen, they can be installed under countertops for an after-dark transformation.
- Spot Lights: Bold architectural lighting can totally transform the look of your deck after dark, while adding to safety and security. Spotlights can also draw attention to a feature and highlight shapes in your landscape.
- Landscape Lighting: Highlighting the landscaping around the deck can be another great way to transform your space as night falls.
Your landscape lighting design professional can help you decide what areas to light and what technique and fixtures will best achieve your goals.
Do you have to wait until spring?
It may be getting cold in Northern New Jersey, but winter is a great time to be thinking about landscape lighting, even if you’re not sitting out on the deck to enjoy it yet. Illuminating your outdoor spaces can add cheer after the holiday lighting displays come down. Plus, there’s added safety in well-lit areas that might otherwise hold risks of slips and falls in icy conditions. And, even if you don’t plan to use your deck until spring, getting an installation completed beforehand means more time to enjoy it once the weather warms up!
Borst Landscape & Design has trained and licensed electricians to make sure that your custom deck lighting design is brought to life just as you dreamed it. Call the experts today and ask about your lighting goals!